Saturday 12 March 2016

233. The Common Birdwing (Troides helena cerberus)

Number: 233         
Family: Papilionidae    
Sub-Family:  Papilioninae         
Species: Troides helena cerberus   
Common name(s): The Common Birdwing    
Rarity: Common         
Habitat: Lowland Forested area (a.s.l. approximately 500m)  
Province(s) / Place(s) sighted: Phu Wiang National Park (Khon Kaen)
 Though I have seen this species numerous times, it is usually about a million feet in the air gliding slowly over the canopy of the trees. I have also seen this species feeding off the flowers, moving from bush to bush, usually when I don't have a to camera to hand. Fortunately, at a small drying puddle yesterday, one had come down to drink in the early morning before the sun was too hot. I managed to get a few shots away but as I tried to shift my position to get a shot from above it didn't like my presence and again drifted upwards circling higher and higher and out of sight. Still, a beautiful species I have now photographed!

Many thanks to Bluebob Ray for pointing out the species.

No comments:

Post a Comment