Saturday 12 March 2016

A Trip to Phu Wiang (2)

Location: Phu Wiang National Park, Khon Kaen NE Thailand 
Habitat: Lowland forest (up to around 500 a.s.l.) 
Date: 11th March, 2016 
Weather: Baking hot

With the dragonfly season still a good way off (seemingly forever away), I decided to go back to a local place (for me) known as Phu Wiang National Park. It is a fairly small forested national park and at low altitude. However, it is the perfect escape from crowds of people and you pretty much have the place all to your self. Every time I have been, there have been thousands of specimens all over the place as soon as you start the climb to the top. This time, however, it was very quiet. Worryingly quiet. I think it is even too early for the butts. I made my way up the road to the top which is a nice single road. I reached the first of my favourite places, which is basically a small area that has overflow pipes going under the road and it slightly cut out of either side. Last time I visited here, there were butts everywhere. This time, it was completely overgrown by grass and was bone dry. I moved on. There is a 'river' at the top which is mostly dry except for the heaviest parts of the rainy season. However, there are a couple of large ponds that seem to be there year-round. Right now, however, they are too small and look seriously like they could dry up before the rains come. This is a worry for the resident dragons and other aquatic life that hang on for dear life during these times. There is also another pond which is large and sustains a lot of life. Again, this is now tiny and on the verge of drying out. 

I did manage to spot a fair few new species for the place and for my records. I am hopeful that there are at least 200 species that reside here and I hope to record many more throughout the coming years. It is a great little place for butt hunting and should be visited if you are in the area. 

Here are my best shots of the day:

A female Black & White Helen resting early in the morning


All that glitters isn't gold ... the very common, but no less stunning Paris Peacock. 


Male and female Malay Baron - a common visitor
 

 
Other visitors include:

The Glassy Tiger
 

The Marbled Map ... a very fragile-looking species
 The Red Spot Duke, female ... a fairly regular visitor
 The Orchid Tit ... a stunning little chap
 I think this a female Malayan (I often see the male)
 The Spotted Zebra, very common here ... and seems to attract bees! Hehe
 Another very common species is The Great Eggfly ... though this is first time I have managed to get them with their wings open!



 Finally, a decent shot of The Spotted Beak

 And now for the six newcomers (well, the first time I have seen them, anyway):

The Common Birdwing - as the name suggests, it is common - but getting decent shots isn't
 The Zigzag Flat - small, rare and beautiful!
 The Common Mime - one of the most skittish butts I have encountered
 The Chestnut Angle - very difficult to spot
The Yellow Pasha - my first of this kind!
 The Tree Flitter ... and it did just that!

 I will be visiting the park on numerous occasions this season to try to establish just how many species reside here. Watch this space!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment